Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Hatful of Hollow

The Smiths' album "Hatful of Hollow" is easily one of my favorite albums of all time. I adore Morrissey's self-deprecating and painfully expressive lyrics compounded with Marr's catchy indie riffs; they meld to make a perfect match.

Several cuts from Hatful of Hollow are BBC Peel session versions of songs from the self-titled album, though the versions on the former are nervy and raw in comparison with the original. I actually like the feel of the Hatful songs better than the original. I think you get a better feel for Morrissey's raw emotion from these less packaged tracks.

Now, I'm gonna start a song by song of the album:

1. William It Was Really Nothing
An upbeat and somewhat comical song, this was a perfect start to a near-perfect album. The opening lines remain my favorite:
"The rain falls hard on a humdrum town This town has dragged you down"

2. What Difference Does It Make

Just as the lyrics of the song claim, Morrissey sounds the part as "sick and tired". The song was apparently a message to an indifferent love interest. My favorite lines are:
"The devil will find work for idle hands to do
I stole and I lied and why? Because you asked me to"

**more later


|