Monday, August 02, 2004

Dreams

"Whoso regardeth dreams is like him that catcheth at a shadow, and followeth after the wind."
Ecclesiasticus 34:2.


And in my dreams I saw her, staring piercingly at me. I hadn’t seen her for years, yet here she was staring at me. Never before mindful of her pulchritude, her radiance, I was immediately stung by feelings I was familiar with only from mindless hours spent watching bad 80’s movies.

Her eyes looked bluer than I’d ever remembered them, and in those eyes shone a confused passion, a sense of need and a vulnerable heart. For me, and only myself can I speak, heart-ache pressed me to walk across that room and embrace her tightly. Her manner seemed accepting and even desiring to be held. But I stood fast.

And it was here I awoke, with her vivid blue eyes still burning their mark on my mind.

Completely floored by the sudden rush of emotion upon waking from this dream, I was flooded with images of this little girl from my own childhood. Now a beautiful and wonderful young woman, this star, this sparkling fountain was hidden in my mind for nearly a third of my life, only to now resurface as a latent temptress.

Dreams can be strangely lucid sometimes, and other times incredibly nebulous. This particular cerebral concoction was partially each of these things. I sat in bed thinking of the childish way we used to mingle and how to me, she was always just another friend. I still sat, shocked, amongst my warm covers, longing to see her and perhaps even to hold her.

But, that too is probably just a dream; and most times dreams will not come true.
|